oplock break errors in 2.2.6-pre1

Fredrik Ohrn ohrn at chl.chalmers.se
Wed Aug 7 05:54:02 GMT 2002

Using 2.2.5 we got a lot or errors in the log matching the description in
the "SMBtrans2 oplock safety" thread.

This happens on Word/Excel/PowerPoint documents and the clients are
running Office 2002 + Windows XP. I have not been able to figure out a way
to trigger the error on demand.

I tried out 2.2.6-pre1 from the CVS today just to see if the problem has
gone away. Unfortunatley it is still there, heres a random pick:

[2002/08/07 08:23:46, 0, pid=6215] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(796)
  oplock_break: receive_smb timed out after 30 seconds.
  oplock_break failed for file Emigrar.doc (dev = 811, inode = 4899780, file_id = 2).
[2002/08/07 08:23:46, 0, pid=6215] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(868)
  oplock_break: client failure in oplock break in file Emigrar.doc
[2002/08/07 08:23:56, 0, pid=6215] smbd/reply.c:reply_lockingX(4489)
  reply_lockingX: Error : oplock break from client for fnum = 5109 and no oplock granted on this file (Emigrar.doc).

I also get a lot of occations with only the first 2 messages, i.e. the
client doesn't break the lock after the timeout. This also only affects
Office suite documents.

On some occations I have been able to match these errors with people who
are complaining that Word gets sluggish and takes forever to open menus,
dialogboxes, update the screen etc. I'm not 100% sure that the pehomenon
is related though.

Where should I start digging to help debug this?

Regards,
Fredrik

--
   "It is easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of computers by
   the sense of accomplishment you get from getting them to work at all."

Fredrik Öhrn                               Chalmers University of Technology
ohrn at chl.chalmers.se                                                  Sweden