Compling Samba-2.2.5 with spinlocks using Sun Forte C

Bogdan Iamandei bogdan at its.uq.edu.au
Tue Aug 6 16:33:02 GMT 2002

David Collier-Brown wrote:
>  Adrian LEE wrote:
>
>>>The code in tdb/spinlock.c related to spin locking on Sparc uses asm
>>>directives.  This module won't compile with Sun Forte C compiler.
>>>If you have a patch or similar, or point out I've forgotten to use
>>>a compiler option, to help my solve this problem, it would be
>>>much appreciated.
>>
> Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
>>Why do you need spinlocks?  The asm stuff is only compiled when we have
>>that option specified...
>

> 	The standard locks are reccomended, is there a
> 	problem with them on your site?

According to my information, there *is* an acknowledged problem with
Solaris' fcntl locking causing excessive spins on mutexes. One of the
Sun engineers reccomended us (BTW: Adrian waves HI! from 2 meters away)
as a quick fix to use the spinlocks. Now, IMO that's not a really good
ideea, due to the *much* higher risks of having the whole thing on
spinlocks.

I'll send you the internal BugIDs over private mail, since I am not
really sure what's the policy with making them public.

							Bogdan.

--
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe.  Attack ships on fire
off the shoulder of Orion.  I watched C-beams glitter in the dark