smbd blocking in receive_smb

Pascal pascal at vmfacility.fr
Tue Aug 6 08:55:03 GMT 2002

Investigating more last lite (in France :) ) I find in fact the following:

1. One SMBD was in a read on a FIFO
    Since this read is restartable (I tested it with a kill and beeing under
strace) this smbd will NEVER be terminated (the fifo was left on a share by a
very old process, and this smbd tried to read it, as a normal processing of
share backup...)

2. while in this state, I had lots of other smbd stucked in :
fcntl64(14, F_SETLKW64, {type=F_WRLCK, whence=SEEK_SET, start=256, len=1}
<unfinished ...>
fd 14 is the locking.tdb database here (lsof proof)

3. I compiled tdbtool and tried to list the locking database
 ==> tdbtool list or dump blocks each time at the same place in the
locking.tdb   same ofset as the other smbd !

4. I removed the FIFO (rm)

5. my first smbd then terminated properly

6. all the other blocked smbd terminated properly

7. smbstatus showed  ghost locks (pid no more present)

8. smbclient -L localhost ... cleaned up the database as expected.

I am in samba 2.2.5   ( -14mdk  mandrake serial)
several times a week I have locks problem like that in the server and nobody
can access the share during this time. It's the first time I notice that
locking.tdb is not scanable, I have to checkout next time too.

I have started today a debug level 10 but to no avail - everything works fine
today :(

maybe a race condition or timing problem in the lock code on locking.tdb.

I really wonder if it is possible for a smbd process to block other smbds only
because it has a byte range lock on this database ? I know that at start, new
smbd scan this table to remove dead locks, can this scan be blocked at some
point in the samba code ?

any clue would be apreciated.

Pascal