shadowAccount

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Aug 6 02:18:01 GMT 2002

Bartlomiej Solarz-Niesluchowski wrote:

> Good Morning!
>
> When Samba will use informations in shadowAccount?
> e.g.:
> shadowLastChange: 11898
> shadowMax: 90
> shadowWarning: 14
> shadowInactive: 14

These apply to the 'shadow' password, which is not always the same as
Samba password.

> Or when samba will use PAM for such things?

Samba 2.2 and 3.0 will honer those valuea via PAM, when so configured.

> Currently I have setup batch which test above informations and changes it
> with smbpasswd -e (-d), but this solution is far from perfect.

Most of these have 'nt' equivilants that Samba uses.

That said, it would be useful to be able to use these existing
attributes.  Unfortunetly the 'shadow' system has a granularity in days,
while NT uses seconds (actually 100'th of a second I think, but we
convert to time_t).  It is this kind of 'not quite compatibility' that
makes this difficult.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net