deadtime: recommended or not? [was Re: Visual Studio 6...]

Gerald Carter jerry at samba.org
Mon Aug 5 15:52:02 GMT 2002

On 5 Aug 2002, Mike Gerdts wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 08:29, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > As a basic rule, setting 'deadtime' is a bad idea.  Is there any reason
> > to set this paramater?
> >
> > Andrew Bartlett
>
> But smb.conf(5) from 2.2.5 says:
>
>      deadtime (G)

>           Using this parameter with a timeout of a few minutes is
>           recommended for most systems.
>
> Should the man page be updated or is this Andrew's opinion not the
> consensus?

I don't agree with Andrew's opinion.  I have found that it
can greatly increase the scalability of a server given vertain
user patterns by client machines.

The current semantics are that a connected can only be idled
if (1) the client has no open file handles on any share, and
(2) client has no open rpc handles on any pipe.

Not that open pipes do not count as either condition.

cheers, jerry