Japanese characters across Linux Server and Mac OS X 10.1

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at samba.gr.jp
Mon Aug 5 07:59:02 GMT 2002

Suraj K. Rai wrote:
>I am trying to get Japanese characters to be recognized via SAMBA from
>a Linux Redhat 7.3 server (SAMBA 2.2.3) and Mac OS X 10.1.5 client but
>nothing seems to be working.

Currently you cannot use Japanese characters on Mac OS X client to
connect Samba 2.x server. Mac OS X smb client can recognize UCS-2 only
on the wire, but Samba 2.2.x uses DOS codepage (Shift_JIS for
Japanese) on the wire regardless of "coding system".

For Samba 3.x which uses UCS-2 on the wire, you will be able to use
Japanese characters with Mac OS X smb client.

>I also noticed that you mention UTF8-mac on your post .... where do I
>get the files to support UTF8-mac?

You can get it at http://ftp.samba.gr.jp/pub/samba-jp/
But UTF8-mac is useful only for Samba server on Mac OS X, so this will
not solve your problem.

-----
TAKAHASHI, Motonobu(monyo)         monyo at samba.gr.jp
Samba Users Group Japan            http://www.samba.gr.jp/