FTP

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Mon Aug 5 02:59:02 GMT 2002

> I use a weekly mirror batch job to keep my local copy of the SaMBa tree
> close to up to date. Needless to say it just blew its cookies.

And if you had read the mirroring page on the samba.org website then
you would know that we ask you to use different methods to mirror, and
to ask first.

In particular please notice this instruction, which has been
prominently places on our site for about 3 years:

  Please do NOT use ftp mirror scripts or web robots to mirror our site.

The fact that huge numbers of people decided to mirror our site via
ftp when we specifically asked them not to is one of the major reasons
we had to block ftp downloads. At commercial hosting rates these rogue
ftp mirrors cost about US$10k per year. That's a hell of a lot of
money to waste.

	Tridge