Variable MACHINE.SID

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Sun Aug 4 10:42:01 GMT 2002

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 03:31:54AM +0930, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Aug 2002, Pablo Alcaraz wrote:

> > I wish that a box can run alternatively 2 samba server configuration
> > (smb_a y smb_b).

> > For this I have 2 smb.conf files (smb.conf.a and smb.conf.b). When I
> > need smb_a I rename smb.conf.a => smb.conf and restart samba. The same
> > thing for smb_b.

> > The problem is that my configuration set 'server = domain' and one
> > configuration run ok inside of domain and the other does not run (samba
> > ask for manual login).

> > I suspect that the problem is MACHINE.SID. I think I need 2 different
> > MACHINE.SID files. Is that correct?

> > Can I use samba %L variable to indicate a differente MACHINE.SID?

> There is no way to control where that goes, I believe ...

> > Does the MACHINE.SID file dependent of the hardware of the server?

> If Samba finds an existing MACHINE.SID, I believe it uses that. You cannot
> have two system on the network with the same machine SID. However, I do
> not believe there is a parameter that allows you to control where Samba
> will look for this stuff.

passdb/machine_sid.c:
        /* check for an old MACHINE.SID file for backwards compatibility */
        asprintf(&fname, "%s/MACHINE.SID", lp_private_dir());

so adjusting the setting of 'private dir' in smb.conf should do it.
(This will also work for versions of Samba that use secrets.tdb, which is
also found relative to 'private dir'.)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer