LDAP an %variables

Marcel Ritter Marcel.Ritter at rrze.uni-erlangen.de
Sat Aug 3 05:21:02 GMT 2002

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> Marcel Ritter wrote:

> > > It has problems when you then store the expanded form - you lose the
> > > LDAP magic on the first password change etc.
> > >
> > > To get around this, we came up with a way we have 'defaults' for certain
> > > things, using the same stuff as the 'fudge it up' solution for
> > > smbpasswd.  Except we don't store the expanded strings back, unless they
> > > are modified by a client.
> >
> > Is there another way to store profiles from different windows versions in
> > different directories? I saw this behaviour on Novell and I'd really like
> > to use a similar feature with samba.
>
> Sure - just don't set it in LDAP, just use the smb.conf options.  They
> *do* take the % modifiers.

Ah - so if the LDAP field is empty samba will default to entries in
smb.conf - that's nice to know and should solve my problems.

Thanx for your quick help!

> Andrew Bartlett

Ciao,
  Marcel

> --
> Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
> Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
> Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net
> http://samba.org     http://build.samba.org     http://hawkerc.net

----
Marcel Ritter
Linux Betreuer
Regionales Rechenzentrum Erlangen
----
Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.