How are capabilities like can set the time and can manage printers handled

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at ns.aus.com
Fri Aug 2 06:58:02 GMT 2002

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Simo Sorce wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-08-02 at 04:53, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Are all these things strictly local decisions or are they now all encoded
> > in groups, or are there some capability bits associated with users?
>
> A new complete SAM system is being introduced into HEAD.
> In the plans this new SAM will contains all permissions and capabilities
> bit.
> Actually those implemented are done locally in the code.

That is nice to know, but what I am interested in is how does Windows
currently handle that, like backup capabilities, etc.

It is clear that NT handles it localy (in the registry as JFM suggested)
and that maybe W2K in compatibility mode does. However, what does ADS
currently do? How does a workstation get informed as to the capabilities
of a user on this workstation?

Regards
-----
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe at ns.aus.com, rsharpe at samba.org,