Win2K resetting connections. Is there a service pack?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Aug 1 14:50:02 GMT 2002

Richard Sharpe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just ran into a problem with a Win2K machine where if multiple
> connections occur on port 445, when the first one issues a NegProt, the
> rest get a reset.

Yes, they get reset if they have not yet issued a SessionSetup.

> It is compounded by the fact that the server does not want to accept
> sessions on port 139 (that is, the NetBIOS session requests are rejected).
>
> Does anyone know if there is a service pack for the first problem?

No, but it's a known issue.  I first found it when doing my error map
extractor - but I think jermery 'rediscovered' it with some
security=domain bugs, and saw the real implications...

Anyway, the solution is to always do an anonymous session setup straight
after the negprot, which will insulate that particular connection from
this bug.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net