Visual Studio 6 + Samba 2.2.5 misbehaves.

bdavids1 at gmu.edu bdavids1 at gmu.edu
Thu Aug 1 07:06:15 GMT 2002

As others have said, this is a time syncronization issue which is not
Samba specific.

When the file is saved to the server, the timestamp put on the file is
the Server's time.  Assume for a moment that the server time is ahead
of the workstation time.

Visual basic will periodically check the timestamp on a file.  If the
time is newer than when it last wrote to the file, someone else
modified it - hence the "This file has been modified outside of the
source editor."  In otherwords, if I last wrote to the file at 6:00,
and happen to take a look at it and it says it was written to at 6:01
then I can only conclude that someone else wrote to it.

If the server is 1 minute ahead, then it will save the file with a
timestamp of 6:01 if I save it at 6:00WT (Workstation Time).  That's
where your error message is coming from.

Novell builds time synchronization into the workstation clients to
prevent these types of problems.  There's no way to solve it only
server side, otherwise it would be part of Samba, Windows NT, NetWare,
and pretty much every other NOS.