[Samba] Samba and VPN

Jean Francois Micouleau Jean-Francois.Micouleau at dalalu.fr
Thu Aug 1 03:03:02 GMT 2002

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Aleksandr Koltsoff wrote:

> ok. just a quick reply to this. I do appreciate the prompt replies to my
> last mail, at least someone does seem interested in this stuff, so I will
> continue. I'll report back on the deep secrets of the perverted minds of MS
> here. I hope to continue with this tomorrow evening (EET). by that time I'll
> have had time to gather more packet dumps.
>
> iff I get somewhere, I'll also need some people with w2k servers since they
> have also a WINS server. I suspect that some parameters in the DCE/RPC call
> might be different in that case. I'm testing my setup with NT4 servers (as
> PDCs) and a mix of win98/2k clients (not that that matters in this case).
> the WINS server is a one in NT4SVR-SP6.
>
> on a related note, does samba implement any DCE/RPC stuff? I didn't check
> all of samba source manually, that's why I ask. The RPC I'm looking at is
> done via the DCE/RPC portmapper. does samba listen to tcp 135?

samba has been doing DCE/RPC for at least 5 years over SMB. I did some
work 8 months ago to implement the WINS RPC pipe on port 135, and quickly
stop as the rpc functions I decoded were only for wins administration. Now
if there is really a rpc wins function to better implement the browsing, I
can revive my patch and commit it.

	J.F.