Samba 2.2.3a on Solaris 8

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Apr 22 10:08:02 GMT 2002

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 05:22:16PM +0100, David Lee wrote:

> But I wonder whether at least part of the reason this tends only to be
> seen on Solaris just might be because Solaris is robust and _good_ enough
> to be pushed so far that it exposes these problems (whereas perhaps other
> OSes have other problems that kick in before this sort of loading ever
> arises in the first place).

Actually in this case no. Although Solaris sites do tend to find
these bugs because they're being loaded heavily (which is a testiment
to the scalability of Solaris) in this case the problem is that fcntl
locks on Solaris when under contention seem to be *unbearably* slow
(on the order of seconds). Andrew measured this and may have more
details. It may be that fcntl locks on Solaris are not "fair" and
tend to give preference to writers or readers.

Jeremy.