Is SAMBA samfs aware of?

Tian-xiong Lu tianl at agrecon.canberra.edu.au
Thu Apr 18 23:58:02 GMT 2002

Hi there,

we are running SAMBA 2.0.7 (bit older) on a Solaris 2.7 box on which
there are standard UFS filesystem and SAMFS filesystem as well.

The SAMFS is a filesystem used in HSM where files can be automatically
archived to removable devices such as tapes and then files can be released
from disks and become offline. The Windows 2000 "remote storage" is
something similar to this.

Our SAMBA server serves both UFS and samfs to windows workstations.
I notice that when a user trys to open a samfs file that is offline, the user
gets an error message. MS claims that windows 2000 can recognise offline
files when its "remote storage" being used. It will show an icon indicating
offlined files. When a user trys to open an offline file it will let the user wait until
the file online. I just wonder if SAMBA can make windows 2000 be aware of
offline files on the SAMBA server?

regards,

Tian