IPv6 patch for Samba 2.2.3a is available

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Thu Apr 18 15:38:02 GMT 2002

Nathan Lutchansky wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 11:33:50AM +0200, The DJ wrote:
> > on 18-04-2002 07:05, Nathan Lutchansky at lutchann-sambatech at litech.org
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I've finished patching Samba 2.2.3a to enable SMB connections over IPv6.
> > > The patch is quite lengthy, almost 3000 lines, so I have not included it
> > > here.  It may be retrieved from <http://v6web.litech.org/samba/>.
> >
> > 3000 lines of code in 49,5 hours time. Way to go Nathan. How much sleep did
> > you allow yourself ;-)
>
> Don't forget the 120 lines of documentation.  ;-)  But the whole thing
> only took 25-30 hours so it's not like I'm sleep deprived.  Or rather, not
> because of this project.  :-)
>
> BTW, if there's anybody on the list with some free time that feels like
> helping get IPv6 into Samba, I encourage them to pick up the patch and
> test it with both --with-ipv6 and without.  It would be good to get a bit
> of testing with this patch to see if there's any major problems I missed.
> -Nathan

I like the patch - particularly your eye for portablity in this rather
messy area.

At 3000 lines, it will take a bit to intergrate - but you seem to have
addressed the fundemental design problems fairly well.

The main problem will be gettting an IPv6 setup so I can test this
stuff...  Naturally, any patch would need to be to HEAD.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net