Adding IPv6 support to Samba

Nathan Lutchansky lutchann at litech.org
Mon Apr 15 20:25:02 GMT 2002

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 02:58:20AM +0200, Rafal Szczesniak wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Nathan Lutchansky wrote:
>
> > Has anybody thought about or attempted to do this?  Although IPv4
> > addressing is deeply embedded in NBT, SMB has no IPv4 dependencies at all,
> > so it is straightforward to run direct-hosted SMB (port 445) over IPv6.
>
> Thought ? yes
> Attempted ? no, unfortunatelly I'm coding other things now :)

OK, I'm working on it now.  I'll prototype the support on Samba 2.2.3a,
then gather comments on the patch so I can port/adapt/rewrite it for HEAD.

As I work, the project gets bigger and bigger.  ip_addr structs and
uint32s are thrown around with reckless abandon, and the division between
NetBIOS and SMB is quite blurry.  The final patch should be quite lengthy.

However, being unemployed right now, I should have ample time to get
something working.  :-)  -Nathan

--
| Nathan Lutchansky | lutchann at litech.org |  Lithium Technologies  |