nmblookup conflict

Christopher R. Hertel crh at umn.edu
Mon Apr 15 12:11:02 GMT 2002

> Yes, the DC is Windows. NT in one case. Not sure about the one that
> produced this (sanitized) output.

IIRC, NT will go into the Conflict state if it gets a "NAME RELEASE
REQUEST DEMAND".  See my docs: http://www.ubiqx.org/cifs/NetBIOS.html
Look for the string "NAME RELEASE REQUEST DEMAND".  It is really easy to
code this up and send it as a unicast.  I think that NT is immune to the
"NAME CONFLICT DEMAND", but you might want to check.

That one way that I know of to cause the Conflict state.  There may be
others.  I'd be looking for those packets on your network, though.

Chris -)-----