Adding IPv6 support to Samba

Jason Coene jason at datahiveserver.com
Mon Apr 15 11:34:13 GMT 2002

I've also thought of this, assuming it can be cleanly done it may be something to accomplish for 3.0 -- it would certainly be a nice feature to have. I and a lot of people i know prefer to access remote smb servers across the internet using \\ipaddress, where no nmbd is necessary, and with the supposed forthcoming adoption of IPv6, it may need to be done sooner than later. Immediately off the top of my head, the changes that would need to be made would be to move away from older, incompatible networking oriented data types (as Nathan noted), as well as modify any string or logic comparison functions (such as hosts deny directive would use). Do the key developers see any stumbling blocks?

Regards,

Jason