nmblookup conflict

Andrew Esh aesh at tricord.com
Mon Apr 15 11:30:03 GMT 2002

What causes this conflict condition in the PDC #1c nmblookup info? This causes Samba not to be
able to authenticate with the given domain controller. Of course, if the smb.conf "password server"
parameter has another (good) DC listed, we get past this, but it kills Samba in single-DC
environments. I've seen this twice in the last three weeks, in two unrelated domains. If the
DC is rebooted, the conflict goes away, and Samba can authenticate again.

(NetBIOS Names and IPs changed to protect the innocent, but the output is real.)

# nmblookup -A 2.4.6.8

Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [2.4.6.8] Scope Id: []

           NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

       Name               Type         Status
    DC             <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
    DC             <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    DOMAIN         <00>  GROUP       Registered
    DOMAIN         <1C>  GROUP       Conflict
    DOMAIN         <1B>  UNIQUE      Registered
    DOMAIN         <1E>  GROUP       Registered
    DC             <03>  UNIQUE      Registered
    DOMAIN         <1D>  UNIQUE      Registered
    ..__MSBROWSE__.<01>  GROUP       Registered

    MAC Address = 00-01-02-03-04-05

Andrew C. Esh              mail:Andrew.Esh at tricord.com
Tricord Systems, Inc.
2905 Northwest Blvd., Suite 20   763-557-9005 (main)
Plymouth, MN 55441-2644 USA      763-551-6418 (direct)
http://www.tricord.com - Tricord Home Page