Very bad performance when copying large files from windows to samba-share

Lars Heineken Lars.Heineken at gmx.de
Fri Apr 12 13:23:02 GMT 2002

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002 12:58:54 -0700
"MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1)" <don_mccall at hp.com> wrote:

> The fact that you have disk activity with no network activity
> on the samba server when you try to transfer, and the timeout
> issue, almost sounds like you have the 'strict allocate' flag
> for smb.conf set true - this would force samba to actually write
> bogus data to fill up a file on your disk of the size that you are
> about to transfer, and if it were really big, or disk writes really
> slow, could be causing you to time out... check testparm output for
> 'strict allocate' and see what the value is - it SHOULD default to
> no, or false, but maybe your distribution changed the default on you?
> Just a guess,
> Don

The testparm showed that the setting is no. T be shure, I set it to "no" manually but the behavoir hasn't changed.
This is a nasty one, your mail could have been the solution, as your description of the behaviour was quite what happens here. Maybe there's a way to check the network traffic if win98 initiates a transfer with a strict allocate ?