Very bad performance when copying large files from windows to samba-share

Boyce, Nick nick.boyce at eds.com
Fri Apr 12 10:54:06 GMT 2002

Lars,

If you're talking about :

  *  poor performance with PC -> Samba transfers
  *  good performance with Samba to PC transfers

then you may also want to review your setting for the "write raw" smb.conf
parameter.  For some bizarre reason several people have reported that this
needs to be set to "no" (on _some_ but not all platforms) instead of the
more intuitively obvious "yes", to get speeds comparable with FTP transfers.

See http://samba.cadcamlab.org/lists/samba-technical/Nov2001/msg00613.html

We didn't get the failure symptoms you're reporting, but we *did* see lousy
performance when using Samba as a "Ghost" (TM ;-) PC drive image store -
i.e. when writing 1 - 2 Gb image files from the PC to Samba.

Setting "write raw = no" fixed this for us on a Digital Unix Samba platform.

Nick Boyce
EDS Southwest Solution Centre, Bristol, UK