Win2k joining

Jason Coene jason at datahiveserver.com
Thu Apr 11 10:18:01 GMT 2002

Hi Greg,

To join a domain from a 2K machine, you need to specify the username and password of a system account that has both:
 - an entry in smbpasswd with matching password
 - write access to the smbpasswd file

For most systems, the only account that fits this criteria is root. Also make sure you have a $MACHINE system account and entry in smbpasswd, per the documentation.

The last I knew, the domain admins=* code was broken when it comes to controlling who can actually join the domain.

Regards,

Jason