winbindd problem

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at ns.aus.com
Tue Apr 9 15:22:02 GMT 2002

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Orwig, Paul wrote:

> Question:
> How does winbindd determine whether to do annonymous or authenticated
> queries?
> How does winbindd determine what user to authenticate with?
> Can winbindd be forced to use a specific user/password to query the PDC?

It uses the trust account info from the secrets database. You have to join
the domain.

> Problem:
> winbindd seems to work intermittantly.
> wbinfo -u returns "Error looking up domain users"

I have seen a number of reasons for this:

1. You have not joined the domain
2. There are old copies of winbindd or smbd/nmbd from a different domain
3. There is no connectivity to the DC

Regards
-----
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe at ns.aus.com, rsharpe at samba.org,