password server = * is broken

Gerald Carter jerry at samba.org
Tue Apr 9 05:47:01 GMT 2002

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Andrew Esh wrote:

> What happened to "CENTRAL+AndrewE"? Why does this code near line 919 fail? :
>

>     if (sys_getpwnam(dom_user) != NULL) {
>       pstrcpy(user, dom_user);
>       DEBUG(3,("Using unix username %s\n", dom_user));
>     }
>

> If this a code ordering problem? Is it trying to look up the user before
> it has a domain controller located?
>
> I'll keep digging, but if this one looks familiar, save me the time,
> please.

What branch?  Did you update the libnss_winbind.so library when you
compiiled the new winbindd?  This can cause no end of problems (voice
of experience here).  Can wbinfo match the name?  What about getent passwd
<user>?

I'm using a fairly recent (maybe a week old) snapshot of SAMBA_2_2 as a
domain member (with password server = *) and I've not noticed any
problems.

cheers, jerry