libsmbclient -I equivalent?

Mike Rosack rosack at softhome.net
Mon Apr 8 18:52:02 GMT 2002

I'm trying to upgrade an smbclient-based share crawler I've written to
libsmbclient and Alain's perl Filesys::SmbClient package.  This is for the
Georgia Tech campus network, so the crawler will span multiple subnets.

The problem I'm having is that about half of the clients I query won't
recognize an IP based smb URL like this: smb://128.61.xxx.xxx/share/.  The
campus WINS server is flaky, plus there are many duplicate hostnames over
the various subnets, so using it isn't really the answer in this scenario.

What I need is some way to write the URL with the hostname like this:
smb://hostname/share, and pass in the IP address to try to connect to.  Sort
of like doing this in smbclient:

smbclient //hostname/share -I 128.61.xxx.xxx

Is there some way to do this that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance,

Mike Rosack
www.sacknet.org
www.buzzsearch.org