CIFS extensions for UNIX

John Newbigin jn at it.swin.edu.au
Sun Apr 7 17:48:01 GMT 2002

Urban Widmark wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, John Newbigin wrote:
>

>>I have updated my patches to work against linux 2.4.18.  I have had some
>>problems with my patches failing fsx-linux.  For now I have reverted to
>>using smb_proc_trunc (which is a SMBwrite call).  This works but leads
>>me to beleive that there may be a problem with truncates using
>>SMB_SET_FILE_UNIX_BASIC.
>>

> Certainly possible. Other thoughts:
>
> The order has to be:
> 	smb_proc_trunc [1]
> 	vmtruncate

I think I was retaining that order.  I though someone who knows ther
server side of the code would confirm either way that the setaddr_unix
was either correct or broken.  At the moment the driver works so the
only disadvantage is if there is a trunc at the same time as another
property change (which may not be possible?) they will be done with 2
calls instead of the one.

> You should also be aware that there is one case where fsx still fails in
> vanilla 2.4.18. It is a bit harder to trigger than the ones that have been
> fixed. I have the details somewhere outside my head, but it was something
> regarding fsx assuming that the fs is more unixy than it is ...
> (close semantics?)

Does this apply to samba servers?  You posted some comment about a
problem that only applies to windows servers.

> [1] which may implement truncate as something other than SMBwrite if it
> wants to, see the trunc64 variant for LFS (2.5.6), or if setattr_unix can
> truncate then that may be used as well. It is not defined to be a SMBwrite
> call.
>

>>The kernel patch for linux 2.4.18 is here
>>http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/smbfs/smbfs.diff4
>>

> Are these different from the links you posted on Mar 12th? Looking at the
> diff dates says no, but perhaps these are the wrong links?

No, they are the same.  I did not get any response from the last message
so I sent them again.

I also have a new patch now for the redhat 2.4.9 kernel but it is not
fully tested yet.

John.

--
Information Technology Innovation Group
Swinburne University. Melbourne, Australia