Inheriting POSIX ACLs

Nicholas Brealey nick at brealey.org
Wed Apr 3 10:25:03 GMT 2002

Hi

Thanks for this improvement - for me it will mean
that I will be able to get the full benefit from
ACLs.

This is a really important change for me.
What I don't understand why anyone would want
inherit acls = no ?

If you set a default acl on a directory, you want it
to be obeyed, otherwise you would not set it.

I think inherit acls should be on by default - it
means that acls work as expected.

Previously I thought inherit permissions would
imply inherit acls and was a little disapointed
that the acls I set on directories on Solaris
did not work as expected when accessed via Samba.

Regards

Nick