FW: (panic action)

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Wed Apr 3 01:11:06 GMT 2002

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002 abartlet at samba.org wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 05:07:18PM -0500, David Shapiro wrote:
> > I don't think solaris has in /proc/%d an exe folder.  Is there an
> > alternative way to do this for solaris?
> >
> > David
> >

> If you OS does't have a way to get to the original executable directly from
> the pid, then you can just hardcode the path.  (GDB just needs the original
> exe for retreiving the debugging symbols, so /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd would
> do fine, except that you will have to change it for winbindd, and can't
> overwrite the binary with a new one and still get any sense out of the
> debugger)

This thread seems very close to a thread about two weeks ago entitled
"Automatic backtrace".  Its topic was automating a default "panic action"
at configure time, taking into account the myriad quirks of OSes,
compilers and debuggers.  The default would do its best to obtain a
backtrace into a file in a simple and reliable way.  (Naturally, there
would need to be override capability for the experts who want to dive
deeper.)

I think we reached the conclusion that it would be possible, and that a
fair amount of table-driven work, at both configure-time and compile-time
would be necessary.

Any progress on this?  I cannot commit much time to it.  But if I knew
that any such time would be likely to have a fruitful outcome and
reception, then I'd see about warping time a little...

Thoughts?