Winbindd in HEAD: cannot deal with 15,000 users+

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Tue Apr 2 13:09:03 GMT 2002

Mike Papper wrote:

> It figures, I was running it in a debugger and sent that output to
> samba at samba.org with my bug report. Since then my /home filesystem was
> corrupted (so I cant find my sent-messages). However, I will try again.
>
> -But, can you explain what you mean by "set panic action=...". Do you mean
> run a shell command named "set" or do you mean go into the code and set it. I
> found the following code in source/param/loadparm.c:
>
> {"panic action", P_STRING, P_GLOBAL, &Globals.szPanicAction, NULL, NULL, 0},
>
> would I then set this line to:
>
> {"panic action", P_STRING, P_GLOBAL, &Globals.szPanicAction, "/bin/sleep
> 9000", NULL, 0}
>
> and recompile? Or I could edit source/lib/util.c in the smb_panic function.

Nothing nearly as complex.  Its an smb.conf paramater, just set it like
any other.

> -Related question: When I use the debugger (which I rarely do) Iuse ddd. It
> seems to be similar to gdb or whatever (excpet it has a gui). What does the
> winbindd -i option do?

Stops winbindd from forking - gdb in particular can't follow the child
easily.

> -For the panic option that brings up gdb, from Andrew Esh:
>
> gnome-terminal --command 'gdb /proc/%d/exe %d'"
>
> What do I use for the %d %d parts?

Thats smb.conf magic.  %d is subsituted for the current PID inside samba
- this allows gdb to pop up in a window with itself in a debugger.
Quite neat.  (I use a similar thing, but I add '|| /bin/sleep 9000' to
catch processes that dont have access to my X display.)

> -BTW the code I am running is from CVS head using the -r ...samba17 version.

Then you are using stale code.  We make snaphots and tag them, but we
don't update them.  Try again with current HEAD, as there is some
suspicion that this bug has been fixed.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net