Winbindd in HEAD: cannot deal with 15,000 users+

abartlet at samba.org abartlet at samba.org
Mon Apr 1 21:34:01 GMT 2002

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 03:49:05PM -0800, Mike Papper wrote:
> I have run the latest winbindd from the samba-3.0-alpha17 branch. I ran it
> for the past 4 days and all went well. However, in the following situation,
> it breaks down... If I have 15,000 users, its OK UNTIL I add or delete a user
> from the set of 15,000 users on the PDC. It seems like any update to the PDC
> causes winbbind to fetch all the info from the PDC (and not just the
> updates). This seems to make winbind crash. When I bring winbind back up, it
> runs OK until I once again add or remove a user from the PDC.

The RPC protocols are not spectacular in this area - so often we need to
refetch the lot :-(

> I am using NT 4 service pack 5 as the PDC. Any thoughts on why this could be
> happening? Or thoughts on what this debug output is saying?
>
> Also, I did send a bug report to samba at samba.org as suggested in the release
> docs). Will this bug report get into the right hands?

Could you set 'panic action = /bin/sleep 9000' and attach a debugger to the
dead winbindd?  Or start it as winbindd -i inside gdb?

Grab a 'bt full' and post that to the list and we will have a much better
chance of finding the bug.  Recompiling --enable-debug will put some more info
in the backtrace.

Also check out the very latest HEAD CVS (assuming you are running from a alpha
tarball) and double-check.

Thanks,