Default encrypted passwords = yes?

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Fri Sep 28 08:16:25 GMT 2001

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Esh, Andrew wrote:

> Microsoft seems to have been careful to weed out any reference to
> Samba, other than a set of tech notes which all address the same
> subject: How to turn off encryption in Windows so it will work with
> Samba. They seem to be pointedly saying that Samba is inherently
> insecure, and can not use encryption. Microsoft doesn't give
> instructions for turning ON encryption in Samba, probably because they
> don't want it to work. They want the user to be faced with disabling
> Windows encryption, so that they instead decide not to use Samba.

This is actually a very good point.  And one that would make
me rethink me comments.  From a marketing perspective, having
Samba work out of the box with curent Windows releases
would be a Good Thing (TM).

The question still remains how to generate the initial
smbpasswd entries.  This is probably just an issue of
documentation. Back in the old days it wa a lot harder :-)
...with having to link in a DES library and all...

I still think this is a 3.0 change though.

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org