winbind, uid.c, Take Ownership and local samba users... something's fishy

jtrostel at snapserver.com jtrostel at snapserver.com
Thu Sep 27 14:44:26 GMT 2001

Yeah... there seems to be something strange going on here.

debug statements in samba show the following values:

global_myworkgroup => CEO
global_myname => JTSDEVEL

These are the domain and machine name (respectively) for the SAMBA server.

_lsa_unk_get_connuser username => jt
_lsa_unk_get_connuser domain   => JTSNT

These are the _workgroup_ and username for the user connecting to SAMBA.

When I get passed into uid.c/lookup_name, winbind _thinks_ it finds a domain
name (it appears):
        lookup_name (winbindd): CEO\jt -> SID S-1-5-21-.... (type 8)

The problem is that there is no user 'jt' in the CEO domain.  When I run
'getent passwd' on the SAMBA server, I get:

        root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
        jt:x:500:500::/home/jt:/bin/bash
        another_user:x:501:501::/home/another_user:/bin/bash
        CEO+Administrator:x:10000:10000::/home/CEO/Administrator:/bin/false

with NO CEO+jt in the list.

It looks like winbind_lookup_name succeeds with CEO\jt instead of failing... It
looks like it _should_ fail if the code lower down in uid.c is going to
validate the user 'jt' locally....

I'll look at this a bit more... but it's getting late here now.

--
John M. Trostel
Senior Software Engineer
jtrostel at snapserver.com