Default encrypted passwords = yes?

Jay Ts jay at toltec.metran.cx
Thu Sep 27 10:26:01 GMT 2001

> On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
> > Is there any reason not to make encrypted passwords the default in HEAD?
>
> I would vote against it.  Will add one more step to getting a
> simple working file server up for testing purposes.

Well hey, every file server I've set up for testing or any other
purposes in the past year or so has been connected to a Windows
system that was using encrypted passwords, so I had to make sure
to enable password encryption on the Samba host.

It would have been one step *simpler* if Samba had password
encryption turned on by default!  And more secure, too.

- Jay Ts
jayts at iname.com