Default encrypted passwords = yes?

Scott Gifford sgifford at tir.com
Thu Sep 27 10:21:03 GMT 2001

Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at pcug.org.au> writes:

> Scott Gifford wrote:
> >
> > Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at pcug.org.au> writes:
> >
> > > Is there any reason not to make encrypted passwords the default in HEAD?
> >
> > Wouldn't that break compatibility with the standard /etc/passwd file?
>
> Indeed it would.

My vote, then, would be against.  In places where I've used Samba,
it's been a tool for integration of UNIX and Windows.  Having
different passwords isn't very integrated.

Leaving things as they are is also the Path of Least Surprise.  When
possible, upgrading software packages shouldn't break existing
installations.

An interesting approach might be to default to "encrypt passwords =
yes" if there is an smbpasswd file, although I don't think that helps
with your testing at all.

----ScottG.