Default encrypted passwords = yes?

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Thu Sep 27 08:10:06 GMT 2001

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, James Nord wrote:

> I have just finished giving a lecture about security in system
> administratrion.  One of the things I said to the students was the
> following
>
>     "If it uses unencrypted passwords over the network get rid of it
> and replace it with an encrytped equivellent" Any option that makes
> any program less secure should always be disabled.
>
>  Although this only applies to smbclient...

Sorry.  I completely agree with all security measures,
but enabling "encrypt passwords = yes" as the default
is just asking to triple help requests.  It is too confusing
when installing Samba for the first time.

btw....remember that smbclient will honor whatever security
bit the server set (clear text or encrypted).

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org