Samba queries.

John E. Malmberg malmberg at Encompasserve.org
Wed Sep 26 09:12:04 GMT 2001

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Prasad, Sreenivasa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	Could you please clarify some of my doubts.
>
>    Does SAMBA have some clustering capability for load balancing and
>    high availability.
>
>    If so, any pointers/info is really helpful.

When any verson of SAMBA for OpenVMS is installed on a VMSCLUSTER, all
systems in the cluster can serve out the shares.  As this is a capability
inherent in OpenVMS, no modifications to SAMBA or special configuration
options are needed.

This should allow scaling to up to 96 systems as the current supported
VMScluster limit, and they can be separated by 40 km.

Load balancing is a function of having a TCP/IP stack and DNS that
supports it.

Note that this is not a fail-over system.  All systems in the cluster can
serve the files to the network all of the time.  So you can have both high
availability and load balancing at the same time.

For personal home use, free hobbyist license are available.

See http://www.openvms.compaq.com.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only