config-time option

John E. Malmberg malmberg at Encompasserve.org
Wed Sep 26 08:12:59 GMT 2001

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> Rafal Szczesniak wrote:
> >
> > Can I assume that each platform that Samba supports has sed program
> > installed onboard ? It would be used by config-time option.
> > I know for Linux and *BSD it rather obvious, but how about HP-UX,
> > SunOS, VMS, etc.

sed and awk are likely available for OpenVMS but are not supplied with it.

Most OpenVMS system administrators would not be familiar with using them.

The big issue is that many of the "UNIX" tools require a bash like shell
instead of using the native OpenVMS DCL interpreter.

While a UNIX like environment can be installed on OpenVMS, there are
usually either some performance problems or other restrictions that limit
it from being used.

Most of the UNIX utilities like sed and awk have OpenVMS equivalents so
that unless you have a UNIX system administrator managing an OpenVMS
system, they are not likely to be found on them.

> All the hosts in the build farm cheerfully sed and awk their way through
> the Makefile as it is, so I don't think you will have much of a problem,
> at least with the platforms we support out-of-the-box anyway.

The resulting Makefile I use for OpenVMS does not resemble anything that
could be automatically processed from makefile.in.

Makefiles are relatively easy to translate.

I would only assume though that someone wanting to recompile from sources
only has a C or possibly C++ Compiler, and not necessarilly the other
tools.

-John
Wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only