small bitmap.c patch

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sat Sep 22 12:13:02 GMT 2001

On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 02:30:58PM +0200, andreas moroder wrote:
> Hello,
>
> my patch does optimize a little ( very little ) bit bitmap.c
> It is not a speed optimization ( it is also ) but a memory optimization.
> Every malloc uses additional memory for his own purposes, so where we can
> avoid allocating two blocks we should put them togheter.

Actually, where speed and memory optimisation is not critical there are good reasons
for keeping the two separate. This is to allow automated tools such as insure++
and purify to catch programming errors that cause overflow in one memory block
to another.

Abutting memory areas like that makes it impossible for these tools to
catch such an error. This is wht the talloc implementation currently
does the same thing.

Jeremy.