2.2.2 cvs bugs

Per Björn bear at sm.luth.se
Fri Sep 21 03:09:02 GMT 2001

Gerald Carter wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Jeremy Allison wrote:
>
> > > Accessing the \\file_server\Printers share is Sllloooowwwww - we are
> > > talking many minutes here...
> > > 64 printers
> > >
> > >   print command = /usr/local/bin/lpr  -b -P%p <%s ;rm %s
> > >   lpq cache time = 1
>       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Why so low?  The default is 30 seconds.  This is probably one
> reason for your slow down... Remember that each smbd is single
> threaded and the lpq command blocks IIRC (assuming it needs to
> retreive the queue from the lpd daemon).

Why we have it that low, because at least in 2.0.9 it was the only way
to get any feedback to the users when deleting print jobs, otherwise you
removed a job and windows still showed it in the quene.

After commenting out lpq cache time = 1 in the config file and restart
samba, it takes 28 seconds to wiew the printers share - still too long..

> Are all the printers available on the net?

Yes.

> The ports thing should be trivial since it is hard coded as "Samba Printer Port" and is a > single get_a_prrinter_2() call.

Yes, my point exactly ;-)

> Are you using an enumports script by any chance?

Nope.

All printers ar explicitly definded in one included config file like the
folowing:

 [lw12]
   path = /var/spool/samba
   printable = yes
   writable = no
   create mode = 0700
   comment="laserjet-any i A12-korridor,HP4M+ 14Mb"

There is no [printers] share defined, and we have tried to add load
printers = no without any notisable change.

> > > ****
> > > Printing paper size.
> > >
> > > Half of the printers seem to think they have Letter format paper in
> > > them, the other think they have A4.
> > > They all have A4.
> > >
> > > The same printer can tell you 2 different things on 2 different clients....
> > >
> > > Could be where not setting something correct but then its a
> > > documentation bug?'
> >
> > Not sure about this one - Gerry, any ideas ?
>
> Will need to look.  Are these using printer driver on the server?

All drivers are stored on the server.

we have since removed the drivers from the clients and re-installed
them,  They now all report Letter in "Paper available", and have A4
assigned to all trays in the printers.

Where is it getting Letter...

> Win2k or WInNT4 clients?

2000.

we have simmilar problems on nt4 with a4/letter but we do not have any
nt4 machines currently available for testing.

--
Per Björn
tel: 2448
mail: bear at sm.luth.se