MACHINE.SID conversion bug?

John Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Sep 19 09:54:02 GMT 2001

I think we have a little glitch.

Reproduce observations as follows:

1. MACHINE.SID file from samba-2.0.7 in private directory
2. Stop samba smbd
3. delete any resident secrets.tdb file
4. Start samba (smbd)
5. cat MACHINE.SID
6. Use rpcclient to do an lsaquery

Observation: the Machine SIDs differ.

Is this a problem? Probably is because when upgrading samba from 2.0.x all
NT/2K clients will need to rejoin the security domain. Bad, Bad situation!

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org

An argument of minds:
"Please help me to find the intellect in Intellectual Property"
"Not me, I can't find the property in it either!"

"All property MUST be protected by digging a 2 foot deep, 4 inch thick,
solid concrete and steel reinforced rat wall around the entire property
perimeter"  - 1974 Uniform Building Code