Getting ready for 2.2.2.

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Mon Sep 17 18:34:13 GMT 2001

Hi jeremy,
I can still reproduce corruption in the connections.tdb WITH use mmmap=NO
in the smb.conf file by running a script that generates smbclient
connections to a samba server (11.0, OR Linux) very quickly.  i have been
picking away at it, but so far, even though I can recreate the corruption, I
have not been able to pin it down.
I can get you a copy of the script, the smb.conf file, and the
connections.tdb file after it is corrupted, if you would like.

One of the things i see is that there appear to be a number of records with
TDB_MAGIC indicating that the record is good (not TDB_FREE or TDB_DEAD) in
spite of the fact that smbclient shows no connections, and there are no
smbd's (other than the root one) still extant...

i also saw another message just recently; quote:

Samba 2.2.1
IRIX 6.5.12
log level 1

Folowing an upgrade from samba 2.0.7 to 2.2.1, I got now this error:

smbd/connection.c:yield_connection(62)
yield_connection: tdb_delete failed with error Record does not exist.

and I can't connect from my clients. My smb.conf file is the same as the
older version and it used to work fine.
What is different between those two versions and how can I make it run again
in 2.2.1 ?

that indicates this problem may NOT be isolated to installations using "use
mmap=no"...

It appears to be a stress/load condition, as the folks that have reported it
on 10.20, 11.00 ARE using "use mmap=no" and have seen similar conditions in
the locking tdb's as well when using applications that work on large
messaging files (>200mbytes) with a lot of locking.

But the connections.tdb is the one i can reproduce.
I'm sorry I haven't been able to spend more time on it, but if you can take
a look, and give me some pointers, I'll be glad to continue pursuing it.

Thanks,
Don