[jcifs] Re: SMB URL

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Fri Sep 14 14:05:05 GMT 2001

Once again, I hope that everyone involved in this discussion will try to
fully envision the problem we are trying to solve.

The solutions offered all have their good and bad points and I am trying
very hard not to favor any of them but, rather, to put all of the
arguments on the table so that we can all understand why we're arguing in
the first place.

The primary goals are these:

  1) A URL specification that is consistent so that URL strings can
     meet the goal described in RFC 2396:

     "Imagine two colleagues, Sam and Kim, sitting in a pub at an
     international conference and exchanging research ideas.  Sam asks Kim
     for a location to get more information, so Kim writes the URI for the
     research site on a napkin.  Upon returning home, Sam takes out the
     napkin and types the URI into a computer, which then retrieves the
     information to which Kim referred."

     I am aware that there is a problem with NetBIOS names, since their
     meaning is localized due to the limitations of the NetBIOS name
     space.  I have that problem solved (separate discussion, if you are
     interested).

  2) As simple as possible for the user so that the user.

  3) Given 1 and 2 above, as simple as possible for the implementor.

Chris -)-----