[jcifs] Re: SMB URL

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba-tng.org
Fri Sep 14 02:50:02 GMT 2001

>   Note, by the way, that the decision to use port 139 or port 445 is made
>   based on whether or not we detect NBT.  Now that I think of it, there is
>   no reason to try both ports *if* we go to the trouble of discovering
>   NBT by sending queries.

yes there is.

samba may be running on both ports, is resolved via a WINS
server but not via DNS.  going to 445 will save a round-trip.

a dual-mode NT4/NT5-domain server may not be accessible /
correctly configured to be reached via DNS but is accessible
via Broadcast-mode NetBIOS, but again, it's still running
both 139 and 445.