RFC: Username mapping for HEAD

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Fri Sep 14 01:53:03 GMT 2001

Simo Sorce wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 05:11:44PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > Tim Potter wrote:

> > > What is the difference between username_unix and username_mapped?
> > >
> > > Tim.
> >
> > username_unix is the uid used when doing disk-work, but might be mapped
> > itself from many different usernames in the password database.  Make
> > sense?
> >
> So, is it an uid? or is it a name?
> I can't see the benefit of this parameter.

Its really just a uid.

The main thing I want it for is the build farm, we have a sum total of
*one* uid to test with, and I would like more than one username to
use.
So I was thinking to equip the various passdb interfaces with the
ability to store arbitary usernames, using the uid field to store the
appropriate unix user.

While this sounds much like the existing username map option, it occurs
after authentication and does not have wildcard semantics.  In
particular this is the only part of the process where usernames like
'domain\username' makes sense - the original problem in this area.  (The
domain is a seperate element, and including it in the username only make
for trouble).

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Samba Team member, Build Farm maintainer        abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net