SMB URL

Conrad Minshall conrad at apple.com
Thu Sep 13 16:14:04 GMT 2001

At 3:19 PM -0700 9/13/01, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

>> I'd rather consider cifs/tcp vs cifs tunneled over something - nfs lets
>>say.
>
>...but that's not the issue at hand.  It doesn't make sense to consider
>SMB over NFS.  The URL form won't support that anyway.  (You would use an
>NFS URL string of some kind, I think.)
>
>> The tunneled will have less
>> functionality, and perhaps subtle semantic issues, but for this would you
>> advocate breaking link-portability by having a different prefix?
>
>Why/how would it break link-portability?

Because not all systems would support smb-over-nfs aprefix specifying it
would fail in situations where "smb://" would have worked fine.  But we
digress, yes, this is no more the issue at hand than ftp vs http.

--
Conrad Minshall ... conrad at apple.com ... 408 974-2749
Alternative email addresses: rad at acm.org and conrad at mac.com.