[IDEA+RFC] Command line util for modifying services

Jim McDonough jmcd at us.ibm.com
Mon Sep 10 05:56:01 GMT 2001

David Armstrong wrote:
>> If you ever do decide to include a command line utility as part of
>> samba/bin, I'd me more than happy to do the work of writing it.

David,
Steve French and I (at IBM) are working on a command-line utility along
these lines, though not exactly what you're talking about.  Our utility has
net.exe-like syntax, because many of our customers have multiple platforms
to manage (Not just windows; remember OS/2?  Believe it or not, there are
tons of servers out there...), and a similar interface for Samba make it
easier for them.  It can't be exactly the same (e.g. no "/" flags, using -
and -- instead), but it is very similar.  Ours is based on the RAP calls
rather than RPCs (least common denominator approach), but extending it
wouldn't be tough.

Jerry Carter wrote
>No one has ever asked for it (that I know of).  Not yet at least :-)
And we have had customers ask for it.  Well, not specifically the net
command, but a scriptable utility for management.

The other issue for us is a legal one at the moment.  We're waiting for
legal approval (legal matters don't get resolved quickly in a large
corporation) to contribute the code, but my guess is we'll have it by the
end of the month and will be able to contribute what we've done so far....

If you think this is something that would work for you and want to help us
out, for now you can work on the server side...such the code to add shares

Jim
----------------------------
Jim McDonough
IBM Linux Technology Center
6 Minuteman Drive
Scarborough, ME 04074
USA

jmcd at us.ibm.com

Phone: (207) 885-5565
IBM tie-line: 776-9984
---------------------- Forwarded by Jim McDonough/Portland/IBM on
09/10/2001 08:45 AM ---------------------------

Gerald Carter <gcarter at valinux.com>@lists.samba.org on 09/09/2001 08:53:10
AM

Sent by:  samba-technical-admin at lists.samba.org

To:   David Armstrong <adavid at btinternet.com>
cc:   <samba-technical at lists.samba.org>
Subject:  Re: [IDEA+RFC] Command line util for modifying services

On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, David Armstrong wrote:

> Thanks - I should be able to hack away at this script and make it do
> what I need it to.  I'll also look into the rpcclient suggestion
> [thanks Simo].

I don't think we have implemented the client side srvsvc rpc's
for this (the ones Server Manager uses).  WOuldn't be hard at
all though.

> If you ever do decide to include a command line utility as part of
> samba/bin, I'd me more than happy to do the work of writing it.

No one has ever asked for it (that I know of).  Not yet at least :-)

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org