Fwd: cvs_head and winbind problems (possible bug)

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Thu Sep 6 21:18:02 GMT 2001

Simon Travers-Jones writes:

> I know this probably isnt the right place to forward, but havnt had any
> response for a couple of days from the samba list and is getting pretty
> urgent.
> Any help is appreciated.

OK - I think this is an introduced bug in the authentication.
Following the logic through on an old version of smbd/reply.c the
logic goes something like this:

 - look up user in password database
 - if it isn't there look up domain\user in password database
 - check domain password against *original* username (i.e without
   the domain prefix)

I think the last step was inadvertently changed.

> >> This is what appears in log.smbd:
> >> [2001/08/30 11:48:51, 0]
> >> rpc_client/cli_netlogon.c:cli_net_sam_logon_internal(407)

Just a quick note, it's much easier to read the debugs if you set
'debug timestamp = no' in the smb.conf file.  That way you get
rid of half the lines in the file.

Regards,

Tim.