Shared memory and IPC

Wez Furlong wez at thebrainroom.com
Wed Sep 5 18:44:42 GMT 2001

On 05/09/01, "Rich Salz" <rsalz at zolera.com> wrote:
> > MEMCTX_SHARED returns an optionally-provided shared allocator
> Well at least it's optional. :)

Yes! But like Dave was saying; it's fun to see if we can do it too...

> Both mmap() and shmat() let you specify a "hint", but things can fail
> depending on the initial process size, amount of sbrk() [malloc] use,
> etc.  It's hard to see how a single pointer can be valid for both of
> these, for example:
> ; size /bin/rc /usr/local/bin/htmldoc
>    text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
>   61207    8960   12184   82351   141af /bin/rc
>  133889   11532 6220864 6366285  61244d /usr/local/bin/htmldoc

If we had prior knowledge of the system memory map, or if the system
could tell us itself, then we might be able to implement this.
That's a big if :)

> (htmldoc does HTML to PDF; rc is my login shell, a clone of the Plan9
> shell)

A friend of mine from uni was mad on rc (lambda!).
Is htmldoc freely available? At the moment I have to settle for
printing ps from netscape and then pstopdf it.

--Wez.