DHCP discovery of WINS servers

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Wed Sep 5 18:14:06 GMT 2001

> But that may be too drastic a change to make to the system just to
> automatically set WINS stuff up.  Maybe a way to get the information
> from DHCP without having to code a DHCP client inside Samba would be
> to modify one of the existing DHCP clients so it could get the
> information and pass it back...
>
> ----ScottG.

In general, we need to stay within the boundaries of 'what can be done
within Samba'.  We can't make too many assumptions about the
configuration of the environment in which we're running.

The goal, then, is to come up with a mechanism that allows for integration
with outside systems (eg., the dhclient software) without requiring it.

Chris -)-----